The Cathedral-Church of Bilbao is dedicated to St James the Apostle, the patron saint of Bilbao since 1643. Built in the fifteenth century, in a Gothic style, although its tower and façade are neo-Gothic.
It has been renovated several times, the last time in 2000, when it reopened its doors again after a decade of extensive restoration.
Of particular interest are the small Gothic cloister, the Door of the Angel (also known as the Door of the Pilgrims and an example of Late Gothic) and its tower, which, as stated in the municipal archives, “shows the good taste of the cultured population of Bilbao”.
The church has 26 altars and is a place of pilgrimage.