Located opposite La Florida Park, the Cathedral of María Inmaculada also known as the New Cathedral, is the main Neo-Gothic building in Vitoria-Gasteiz.
In 1862, with the creation of a new diocese that united the territories of Bizkaia, Alava and Gipuzkoa, a new building was considered necessary because the Cathedral of Santa María was in bad condition and was too small to house all the clergy. Its construction began in 1904 and was opened in 1969.
The temple has a Latin cross plan with five naves, ambulatory and crypt. Moreover, it contains highly valuable sculptures, most of them in the crypt, and also worth mentioning are its gargoyles.
The ambulatory is home to the Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art of Alava.